Why patients near Waynesville, NC might want to find a mercury safe dentistFor many decades, amalgam fillings were the “go-to” choice for dentists in the United States. These silver fillings are made up of a mixture of metals and were chosen due to their durability. Chances are, if you’re an adult and you’ve had a filling in your lifetime, it was done with amalgam. While this standard of care seemed safe to many individuals, years of research has gone on to show that these fillings contain enough mercury to be considered toxic to the body. While many dental practices consider themselves mercury-free and no longer place amalgam fillings, not all are mercury-safe. A mercury-safe dentist follows specific protocols whenever removing this material. If you are in the Waynesville, NC, the following are some reasons why you might want to find a mercury-safe dentist office such as Virtue Dental Care.
Mercury-safe protocols for removing amalgam fillingsAmalgam fillings can contain up to 50 percent mercury. While some dentists offer the removal and replacement of these fillings, many will use standard dental techniques for removing old fillings. As a mercury-safe practice, we follow strict protocols set forth by the IAOMT to ensure that both the patient and the dental team are safe during the removal process.
The following are some of the steps we take to ensure we are mercury-safe:
- Alternative source of air to ensure there is no inhalation of mercury vapors
- Protective clothing and eye protection
- Use of a rubber dam to ensure that the filling is isolated, and the rest of the mouth is protected from mercury particles
- Use of high-speed suction to remove particles quickly
- Removal of the filling in large chunks instead of drilling
- Proper air filtration to eliminate mercury particles and vapor from the air during the procedure
- Amalgam separator to properly collect and dispose of waste