Choosing Mercury Free Dentists near Rock Hill, SCVirtue Dental Care is committed to helping all our patients achieve long term wellness, including oral health. Because of this, we believe it’s vital that we choose only safe materials in our procedures and treatments. As a holistic dental practice near Rock Hill, SC, Virtue Dental Care believes in the oral systemic connection between the mouth and the body. Our practice is both mercury-free and mercury-safe.
What is the problem with mercury?Amalgam fillings have been the standard of care for decades because they are cheap, strong and easy to place. The problem with amalgam fillings is that they are made up of a mixture of metals that includes mercury. If you have a silver-looking filling in your mouth, that’s amalgam.
The substance, mercury, can release vapors when heated. This means that when you bite, chew, grind your teeth, brush your teeth, or even drink hot beverages, you could potentially inhale released mercury vapors.
Alternatives to mercuryAs a safe alternative to amalgam fillings containing mercury, we utilize composite resin fillings. Composite resin fillings have many benefits including:
- Tooth colored – Composite resin fillings can be matched to the color of the enamel, so they blend in as a natural looking restoration.
- Prevent fractures – Amalgam fillings expand and contract in response to temperature changes which can lead to fractures in the tooth. Composite resin fillings do not respond as much to these changes, which prevents the need for further restoration.
- Strengthen the tooth – Composite resin fillings are placed directly into the tooth and bond inside the cavity, which strengthens the tooth for normal functions such as biting and chewing.
- Long-lasting – Composite fillings last as long as amalgam fillings. In fact, they are often considered superior to amalgam.
- Easier to repair – Composite fillings are easier to repair, which can cut down on the instances of total replacements if a problem occurs in the tooth.