Choosing Mercury Free Dentists near Rock Hill, SCVirtue Dental Care is committed to helping all our patients achieve long term wellness, including oral health. Because of this, we believe it’s vital that we choose only safe materials in our procedures and treatments. As a holistic dental practice near Rock Hill, SC, Virtue Dental Care believes in the oral systemic connection between the mouth and the body. Our practice is both mercury-free and mercury-safe.
What is the problem with mercury?Amalgam fillings have been the standard of care for decades because they are cheap, strong and easy to place. The problem with amalgam fillings is that they are made up of a mixture of metals that includes mercury. If you have a silver-looking filling in your mouth, that’s amalgam.
The substance, mercury, can release vapors when heated. This means that when you bite, chew, grind your teeth, brush your teeth, or even drink hot beverages, you could potentially inhale released mercury vapors.
Alternatives to mercuryAs a safe alternative to amalgam fillings containing mercury, we utilize composite resin fillings. Composite resin fillings have many benefits including:
- Tooth colored – Composite resin fillings can be matched to the color of the enamel, so they blend in as a natural looking restoration.
- Prevent fractures – Amalgam fillings expand and contract in response to temperature changes which can lead to fractures in the tooth. Composite resin fillings do not respond as much to these changes, which prevents the need for further restoration.
- Strengthen the tooth – Composite resin fillings are placed directly into the tooth and bond inside the cavity, which strengthens the tooth for normal functions such as biting and chewing.
- Long-lasting – Composite fillings last as long as amalgam fillings. In fact, they are often considered superior to amalgam.
- Easier to repair – Composite fillings are easier to repair, which can cut down on the instances of total replacements if a problem occurs in the tooth.
Removal of existing amalgam fillingsIf you have existing amalgam fillings in your mouth, we recommend scheduling a consultation with one of the dentists at Virtue Dental Care. At our practice, we follow strict protocols for the safe removal of amalgam fillings to protect both patients and staff. It’s important to note that not everyone is a candidate for amalgam removal. During this consultation, we can determine if removing and replacing your amalgam fillings is the best choice for your health.
Choose a mercury-safe dentist near you in Rock Hill, SCWhen it comes to your oral health, you want to ensure that any materials used in your mouth are safe for your body. At Virtue Dental Care, we can make that promise by using mercury-free fillings and other safe, biocompatible materials in our treatments. Call us today at (336) 606-0040 for an appointment.
Virtue Dental Care Patients:
Virtue Dental Care is committed to ensuring that Yadkinville, NC patients have healthy teeth and healthy bodies. We follow biological dentistry principles, offering general, cosmetic, and mercury-free dentistry. The latest techniques and technologies, personalized care, and a comfortable and environmentally responsible practice are our hallmarks.
Our office was established in 1979 by Dr. William Virtue, DDS, AGD, FIAOMT, DNM, who was trained in dentistry at Indiana University. His achievements include Past President of the IAOMT and Forum for Contemporary Dental Esthetics. Dr. Mary Katherine Taylor, DDS, ADA, NCDS, AIAOMT graduated from Wake Forest University and earned her dental degree from UNC-Chapel Hill School of Dentistry. Both of our doctors go above and beyond in continuing education to provide top service to our patients.