Mercury free dentist in NC also offers safe removal of silver fillings
A dental practice that is mercury-free is not the same as a practice deemed mercury-safe. While some dentists don’t place restorations that contain mercury, not all of those dentists are truly “mercury-safe.” Safe practices follow “SMART,” the Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique developed by the International Academy of Oral Medicine & Toxicology. SMART is a series of research-based recommendations for removing silver fillings, designed to reduce mercury exposure to patients and staff.
As a past-president, fellow, and current secretary of the IAOMT, Dr. Virtue follows this protocol when removing amalgam and replacing it with beautiful, biocompatible, metal-free materials. He also teaches new members mercury-safe dentistry. During your appointment:
- Amalgam is collected safely using a separator to minimize mercury released in wastewater.
- The treatment room is properly ventilated to reduce the mercury concentration in the air.
- An air filtration system removes vapor and particles produced during the process.
- Proper coverings are worn for protection from particles that can spread from the mouth to other parts of the body and to dental personnel.
- A vitamin C and n-acetylcysteine rinse helps reduce the risk of mercury absorption.
Since the removal of metal fillings should not be taken lightly, these precautions represent only a partial list of the ways Virtue Dental Care reduces exposure to mercury. Merely replacing the metal filling with a non-toxic, metal-free material does not address these unique health risks.
For mercury-free dentistry and Safe Mercury Removal in NC, turn to Virtue Dental Care. Virtue Dental Care Patients call (336) 679-2034 and New Patients call (336) 606-0040 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Virtue.