What ozone dental therapy can do for you in Yadkinville, NC
Drs William Virtue and Mary Katherine Taylor of Virtue Dental Care practice biological dentistry principles, including the use of ozone dental therapy in Yadkinville, NC.
You may associate “ozone” with the part of the stratosphere that shields the planet from harmful Ultraviolet-B radiation from the sun. Through history, ozone’s numerous beneficial applications here on earth range from food preservation to water treatment. Its roots as a medical therapy can be traced back to the 1800s. So, while ozone as a therapy may be new to you, it has a long track record as an effective and safe healer.
It is often referred to as “energized” or “super” oxygen because ozone is a highly reactive oxygen molecule containing three atoms (O3). Ozone wants to shed that extra atom and return to its stable, two-atom structure. So, when ozone encounters pathogens such as bacteria and fungi, one of those atoms from each molecule attaches to these harmful substances and destroys them. Ozone owes its reputation as a disinfecting powerhouse to this process, known as oxidization.
How we use oxygen
Ozone may be used for a variety of dental procedures. We use ozone gas, as well as ozonated water and ozonated oil. When in the qualified hands of Drs Virtue and Taylor, ozone may be applied safely with custom-made handpieces, trays, or dental instruments. Here are just a few of the ways that we use ozone at our office:
- tooth decay treatment – Gas may be delivered to disinfect areas of decay or cavities.
- gum disease treatment – Ozone gas or ozonated water may be applied to the pockets that form between the gums and teeth. We can even put ozonated oil on dental tools to remove the calculus that inflames gum tissue.
- root canal therapy – Ozone gas and ozonated water can resolve deep decay by disinfecting the dentin tubules and nerve canals inside of the tooth. Instruments lubricated with ozonated oil minimize bacteria.
- Surgery – For patients undergoing surgical procedures such as tooth extractions, the surgical site may be irrigated with ozonated water. Additionally, gas may be delivered to the soft tissues around the extraction site, which helps to minimize the risk of infection and post-surgical discomfort, swelling, and bleeding.
- Treatment of bone lesions – Cavitations and necrotizing tissue get a circulatory boost with ozone gas that also promotes natural healing and immune response.
Ozone therapy is gentle, appropriate for younger and older patients alike, and its therapeutic effects are well-established. You too can benefit from ozone’s many applications at Virtue Dental Care. Call (336) 606-0040 to schedule an appointment.