Visit a holistic dentist near Burlington, NC who offers treatment for both kids and adults
Visiting a holistic dentist who offers services for kids is the best way to help set the proper foundation for a child’s oral health and wellness. Dr. Mary Katherine Taylor of Virtue Dental Care is our pediatric dental provider at our facility near Burlington, NC. Parents who want the best for their child’s smile are encouraged to work with us from the start to build a foundation of proper dental habits for little ones!
What are the benefits of visiting a pediatric holistic dentist?
Working with kids is an entirely different experience than working with adults. Dr. Mary Katherine Taylor understands that children are a special part of the dental practice and she handles children with great care. She has an excellent chairside manner and can help little ones feel at ease in her care. Working with a pediatric dentist ensures that children are engaged in their dental care and start to build a lasting, trusting relationship with dental professionals. Dental professionals who work with children also know various areas of dental care that impact children, including the following concerns:
- Infant consultation – when should parents bring their kids to the dentist? We encourage parents to have their child seen by a pediatric dental professional as soon as the first tooth erupts. If this has not occurred by their first birthday, an appointment should be made to assess their oral health. These appointments are also an excellent time for parents to ask questions about maintaining their child’s oral health.
- Teething – teething can be a painful time for children – and a troublesome time for parents! By learning more about teething and how to make a child more comfortable, parents can make this transition easier on everyone in the household!
- Thumb sucking – thumb sucking is a common habit of little children, but it can be a big hassle when it comes to ensuring the teeth are correctly aligned. Our dental team can inform parents on how to help their child kick the habit and find other ways to self-soothe that are not damaging to the smile.
- Baby bottles – when children are drinking from bottles, it is vital for parents to understand that they can have an impact on the smile, especially when giving babies milk or juice in bottles at bedtime. Using bottles at night can lead to dental caries and start children off on the wrong foot for oral health.
- Primary teeth – the primary teeth are the first set of teeth that develop in the mouth, and it typically starts around the age of six months. These teeth need to be cared for to keep them healthy until they are lost. Then the permanent teeth arrive. Our dental team can evaluate children during this stage to ensure the protection of their new teeth with sealants and fluoride treatments.
- Education on caring for the smile – every parent has questions about how to care for their child’s smile. During the earlier appointments, we can help parents learn about how they can keep food from becoming stuck in the teeth and how to clean the gums of their infants. As children age, Dr. Mary Katherine Taylor will teach children how they can keep their smile healthy with flossing tips and brushing techniques. This education for children also helps in building trust with our dental team and makes future visits more comfortable.
Request an Appointment
Preparing for a child’s first visit
When parents are preparing their children for a visit to the dentist, they need to keep in mind some of the following tips:
- Talk about the appointment in a positive manner.
- Get the child excited for meeting their first pediatric dentist.
- Let the child bring a comfort toy with them, such as a stuffed animal.
- Talk to the child about the importance of keeping a healthy smile and listening to the dental staff.
- Speak to our team before the child’s appointment to discuss the need for sedation if children are anxious about their upcoming visit.
Get started working with a pediatric dentist today!
If you live near Burlington, NC and want to start a friendship with our pediatric dental team, we welcome you to contact Virtue Dental Care for an appointment. Call our office at (336) 679-2034. Our practice is located at 301 East Lee Avenue in Yadkinville, NC.