Dentist in Charlotte explains the health benefits of dental ozone therapy
At Virtue Dental Care, we receive a lot of questions about ozone therapy and its benefits. As a biological dental provider in the Charlotte area, we understand the connection of oral health to the overall wellness, which is why we provide services that improve general health, including ozone therapy. While our repeat patients already know how strongly we believe in ozone therapy, others may not so we’d like to take the opportunity to discuss this modern solution and how it can improve your dental experience.
Ozone therapy: What it is and what it’s not
Biological dentists always strive to provide services or treatments that allow nature to take its course and are as conservative as possible while also being effective. Ozone therapy is a treatment that accomplishes this very well.
What it is: Medical grade ozone (O3) is formed when oxygen is split into three atoms and is met with a negative charge. When this process is completed, the ozone can be stored for medical use, either in a gas or liquid form.
What it’s not: Medical grade ozone is not harmful. You may have heard concerns about the ozone layer in the news, making you wonder if the gas is safe. These concerns are not about the gas itself, but rather about gaps in the ozone layer. Ozone is considered nature’s air purifier, making our atmosphere clearer by attaching itself to pollutants.
How ozone therapy is used in dentistry
There are many different ways that ozone therapy is used in dentistry. Here are some of the most common:
- Ozone therapy can treat decay – When a patient has decay, we can use ozone in gas form to attack the bacteria that thrive in the pits and grooves of teeth. The ozone not only kills the bacteria but can also improve the strength of the tooth by encouraging recalcification. In many cases, the use of ozone therapy on early decay can prevent the formation of a cavity and the need for a filling. If a cavity has already formed, a composite tooth filling will be placed after the decay has been removed and the area cleaned with ozone.
- Ozone therapy can treat gum disease – Gum disease is a serious condition and one of the leading causes of adult tooth loss. Additionally, gum disease has proven to increase the risk of other serious health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. Ozone can be used in both gas and liquid form when treating gum disease. Both the gas and ozonated water are applied to the periodontal pockets where bad bacteria thrive and continue to destroy the gum tissue. Ozone therapy improves healing and the success of gum disease treatment.
- Ozone therapy can reduce tooth sensitivity – Teeth can become increasingly sensitive if they have become worn down or exposed due to gum recession. Ozone therapy is effective at promoting re-calcification to harden tooth enamel and closing gaps in the enamel that lead to tooth sensitivity. No more avoiding cold foods and beverages.
- Ozone therapy can clean the root canals – When infection raids the root canals and pulp chamber of the tooth, individuals may experience pain and heightened sensitivity. Ozone therapy is effective at killing the bacteria and sterilizing deep into the root canals to improve healing and prevent the reoccurrence of infection.
Request an Appointment
Benefits of Ozone therapy
At Virtue Dental Care, we believe that ozone therapy improves the standard of care we provide our patients and offers many benefits, including:
- Eliminating harmful bacteria
- Improved disinfection
- Improving sensitivity
- Increasing circulation
- Preventing future infection
Candidates for Ozone therapy
One of the biggest benefits of ozone therapy is that it is safe for use on patients of all ages. If you are interested in improving your oral health and overall wellness, ozone therapy in conjunction with standard treatment can help. We encourage our patients to ask about ozone therapy during their regular checkups.
Are you ready to learn more about the benefits of ozone therapy?
At Virtue Dental Care, our focus is always on improving our patient’s health through safe, conservative, and proactive dental care. If you are in the Charlotte, NC area and would like to learn more about ozone therapy or any of the other services that we provide, please call us today at 336-606-0040 to request an appointment.